FREE STORY 2020 JUNE

Two years ago, I was in a serious relationship, I mean serious relationship with a girl in Medicine and Surgery department, University of Uyo.

You Know that feeling of dating a prospective medical doctor or even dating a medical student, the feeling is heavenly even if she slap you, so far she's a medical student which you won't want to lose for just a mere a slap.

Love is good when you're in the same spirit with your partner, of course I was in the same spirit with Winnie, she was all over me and I too all over her, I failed my first ever course in the University while in the relationship, well the failed course didn't bother me after all, it's one of the sacrifices we make for love.

I began to understand Anatomy and physiology through Winnie, on several occasions I was in New Agricultural Lecture hall for my night class when Winnie stormed the venue from Old business Lecture hall to ask me to help her explain some anatomical drawings, well, I still remember some of the drawings as one who had a brief sourjon in science class while in Senior secondary School. How me that's in ordinary History department as many of you would say managed to cope with someone in Medicine and Surgery is a mystery to me too.

We continued to enjoy every moment of our lives together since we met, I mean anywhere,any day, in our dreams and in our different exam halls, we shared same feeling.

I could recall vividly the day Winnie invited me to pray along with her at the popular Solution Park, I felt embarrassed and stupid that fateful evening as I was invited by a girl to pray together with. How can I hold her hands and be praying in this open field?, I asked myself. What will my friends who know my in and out say when they see me holding hands with a girl by this late our?
What will my mother say if she hear that I'm now praying with a girl in a lonely place at night?
All these questions kept regurgitating in my head.

At about 10:45pm that night, my phone beeped and in my state of questioning and loneliness, I checked my phone and it was Her Excellency calling. I picked the call and kept mute for some seconds before I could say Hi, sweetheart as usual, she knew that I was looking for an excuse to give so I will not join her in the prayer.
She said to me; Hi, babe, I Know how you feel and what you're thinking at the moment, it's all for our own good, don't live this life to please people or do things because of what people will say, remember our exams starts in earnest on Monday. Come, let us commit our exams and the Relationship to God.

I summoned courage to get ready for the prayers and for night class as well after hearing the assuring words from her.

Boom, I was in Solution Park with Winnie praying when the University security group approached us with a Torchlight accompanied with questions. Well, if you're a student in University of Uyo, you'll understand better if the experience with security men.

Okay, prayer was done and dusted, we moved together to night class that night, when we entered New Agricultural Lecture hall in that late hour, students were starring at us as if I had gone to do tin with her, but only me and her knew where we're coming from.
Thank goodness, only one bench was vacant in that hall, I immediately dropped my bag and began to read while she laid on my laps to sleep all through because she had earlier complained of cold while we were praying under the cold weather.
Very early in the morning, the following day, I took to her hostel as easy as 5:30am so I can proceed to head to my place of abode in Itu Road.

Love is good when shared with a responsible fellow, tribe and language wasn't a barrier, our course of study also wasn't an issue too. We were happy together.

I remember the day she visited me in my Lodge and the immediate elder sister called her on phone, oh my God, I never knew she had discussed me with the elder sister long time ago, I was just mute for my voice not to be heard in the background as she was making the call. I was surprised when the elder sister asked her to give me the phone, I almost disappeared but I had no such power to disappear. In her sweet voice, she said to me, Hi, Cyril, make sure you're taking good care of my only sister ooo, I have heard a lot about you, continue to be good.  
Me: wetin my mother no go see sending her last born to University. 
That's story for another day.

We had discussed how many kids we're going to have and the names we're going to give to each of them, yes, I remember telling her that I don't want any English name for our children.
These were the names we had chosen for our unborn kids:
1. IdaraChukwu= Me
2. EbubeChukwu= Her
3. UcheChukwu= Me
4. Ezinne= Her

I still have these names written down in my diary.

Winnie was everything I wanted in a woman, I had promised her marriage and I meant it when I said it, till date I still mean it.

It was on my 22nd Birthday that things began to fall apart in my relationship when Winnie asked me my Genotype 😭😭😭 I had no idea of the role of Genotype in a marriage and family at large.

I answered her with; A.S is my Genotype.
Winnie began to cry while leaning on me, I was confused why she's crying after I gave her my Genotype.
She replied me and said; I'm A.S too.

At this point, it was dawned on me that our dreams and aspirations are coming to an end just like that.

Tribe and language didn't separate us.
Cheating and lies didn't separate us.
Gossip and hear say didn't separate us.
Our families didn't separate us.
Money didn't separate us.
Getting her gifts and her getting me gifts didn't separate us.

Genotype 😭 did.

That's the end of my story, I don't know anyone called Winnie let alone dating someone in Medicine and Surgery. 

Today is World Genotype Day
Do you know your partners Genotype?

I'm Cyril Orji.

#WorldInternationalgenotypeday
#knowyourgenotype

You can share with others.

Comments